Entry is open to all Victorian practicing artists working in textile media.
By submitting to participate in this exhibition, successful applicants agree to the following:
- Artwork must be complete, ready for installation and delivered on Monday 16 October 2023 between 10 and 11am to FortyFiveDownstairs – 45 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
- Participation in social media promotion of exhibition
- Collect artwork on 29 October 2023 between 10 and 11am from FortyFiveDownstairs – 45 Flinders Lane, Melbourne or courier payment will be requested
- – Up to two entries per applicant are allowed
- – Entries must be original work.
- – All work must be primarily in textile or executed in a textile technique.
- – Work must be original in concept and design.
- – Entries should not exceed 2 metres in any single dimension. If submitting two entries the combined measurements should not exceed 2 metres in any single dimension.
- – Artists must live and/or work in Victoria, Australia to enter.
Artist Bio & CV:
The Artist’s Statement needs to be written in the third person. This statement should include an explanation of the artwork and the art making processes. You may also include a brief bio both have a maximum of 200 words each.
A fee – AU$20.00 non-refundable per entry, with up to two (2) entries per person. Fee must be paid at the time of application
Thanks to a grant from the City of Melbourne and further fundraising activities there will be no participation fee for Uncommon Threads
- – Application will be done online via Naarm Textile Collective website
- – Artists may submit up to two (2) entries (an entry can be multiple pieces eg. a triptych or multicomponent work under one title.)
- – Entries can not exceed 2 metres in any single dimension. If submitting two entries the combined measurements can not exceed 2 metres in any single dimension
- – Each entry must be represented by two (2) images: One (1) full view and one (1) detail. Works entered, as a multicomponent must be represented by three images: One (1) full view and two (2) details.
Please title images with the following format:
PLEASE NOTE: Images not titled correctly will not be viewed.
For each work submitted, artists must provide a brief description including dimensions, materials, and techniques.
Photographing your work:
Each entry should be represented by clearly focused, well-lit images on a neutral background that accurately reflects the work submitted. Colour must represent the piece accurately. Work exhibited in a frame must include the frame in the digital image. Work framed under glass should be photographed without glass but noted that it will be displayed with glass.
Digital submission Specifications:
IMAGE: JPEG or JPG only, up to 5MB – Files 5 MB will not accepted.
Acceptable images should be at 3000 pixels on the longest side.
Uncommon Threads is being curated by Tamara Russell
Work will be judged from digital images. Selection will be based on the overall quality of the work and its compliance with the standards stated in “Conditions of Entry.” Please note that images not titled correctly will not be viewed.
Work, which differs significantly from the image representing it, will not be accepted and returned to the artist.
Artists will be asked to provide HIGH RESOLUTION (300dpi) digital images (full view and detail) for use on the website and social media. In the full view, the entire artwork must be clearly visible; the edges of the work must show. Acceptable images should be at 3000 pixels on the largest dimension.
Uncommon Threads curator reserves the right to reproduce the artwork/s or parts thereof for the purpose of publicity and promotion, on its website or for archival reference.
Notification of the curator’s decision will be sent to the artist’s email by 14 August 2023. Uncommon Threads curators will retain the submitted images (accepted and declined) and reserves the right to use the images in publications and gallery publicity. Beyond such use, the artist retains full copyright of submitted images.
The curators decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Delivery, Insurance and Return of work:
- – Artists are responsible for all costs incurred in delivery and return of accepted artwork.
- – Artists are responsible for insurance of their work
- – Each shipped entry must be packaged in a reusable container for the return of work. No Styrofoam peanuts please.
- – All shipments must include prepaid return shipping postage and address mailing label.
- – Include the insured value if insurance is requested.
- – Hand delivered entries must be delivered to the FortyFiveDownstairs Gallery venue between 10am and 12pm Monday 16 October 2023.
Delivery of your work:
Delivering in person: please bring to the gallery between 10am and 12pm Monday 16 October 2023
Postal: Address available on request
Using Post or Carriers: despatch your work to ensure that it arrives before Monday 9 October 2023. Keep tracking details if you post your work or keep a copy of the freight documents.
Hanging of your work:
All work must be ready for hanging or plinth display. Works are required to easily hung from one attachment point or supply of other hanging methods by the artist at their own cost. Large works or suspended works will require you to arrange installation, at your own cost.
All return freight/ postage costs must be prepaid. Before wrapping/packing, place all return freight/consignment documents with your work. Stamps to the value of the postage must be included.
Collecting Your Work:
After the close of the Exhibition on October 28 2023, artworks will be collected between 10am and 12pm Sunday 29 October 2023
Posted works will be mailed after the closing of the exhibition
The curators of Uncommon Threads will not be responsible for any damage or loss suffered by any person or organisation due to infringement of copyright.
Your personal details will not be disclosed by any other party. Any requests for details will be passed on to the exhibitor concerned.
Entries Close: 6 August 2023
Notification: 20 August 2023
Delivery of Selected Artworks: 10am – 11am 16 October 2023
Exhibition Dates: 17 – 28 October 2023 – FortyFiveDownstairs
Exhibition Opening Event: 5 – 7 pm 17 October 2023
Collection of Artworks: 10am – 11am Sunday 29 October 2023